Spend a night in the desert at Wahiba sands under cloudless starlit skies for an authentic Arabian experience where you’ll find rust-coloured dunes as far as the eye can see.
There are some great activities available amongst the dunes, including 4X4 safaris, sandboarding and quad biking. In addition, the area is a haven for birdwatching where you may observe numerous varieties of species.
Al Hajar Mountains and Jebel Akhdar
This spectacular mountain range is excellent for hiking or simply relaxing in five-star luxury whilst soaking up the incredible views.
The capital city of the Sultanate of Oman and home to one of the world’s most impressive mosques, Muscat (meaning ‘anchorage’), offers some fantastic beaches and great local shopping experiences in its many souks.
Shangri-La Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa - Muscat
The Shangri-Lah Barr Al Jissah Resort and Spa is located in the beautiful capital of Muscat and nestled in a bay on the Gulf of Oman. Guests can enjoy fabulous views of crystal clear waters and the rugged mountains that sit behind the hotel.
Boasting stunning vistas of the 500-metre-long coastline, the Shangri-La resort spans two distinct wings - Al Waha, ‘The Oasis’, and Al Bandar, ‘The Town’ - which both embody the generous spirit of Arabian hospitality. Al Waha is the more family orientated of the two.
The Resort has six swimming pools and a lazy river; it even has a dedicated turtle ranger who oversees the nesting turtle sites.
Al Bandar Deluxe Sea View Rooms
With fantastic views towards the Gulf of Oman, the Al Bandar Deluxe Sea View Rooms offer spacious luxury with modern, Arabian-inspired décor and spacious luxury bathrooms. Each room has a private balcony or terrace.
Anantara Al Jabal Al Akhdar
The Anantara Al Jabal Al Akhdar is a unique resort that sits 2000 metres above sea level on Oman’s famous Green Mountain. Here you can spend relaxing days around the infinity pool, which sits at the cliff edge, gazing out at the most incredible views over the canyon.
For those looking for a more active holiday, you’ll find a host of experiences available, including mountain biking, hiking and abseiling. In addition, the spa offers a hammam, salt steam, aroma sauna, and thermal suites for more relaxing options.
Offering a taste of the world and incorporating Italian, Moroccan and Arabian flavours, you’ll find no less than six restaurants across the Resort.
Deluxe Canyon view room
Wake up to magnificent sunrises and take in dramatic canyon views from your balcony daybed in this Deluxe accommodation. Freshen up in the spa-like bathroom and walk-in dressing area following a day of adventure.
Hotel Desert Nights Camp
Desert Nights Camp at Wahiba sands is a luxury Bedouin-style camp, sprawled across 10-acres of silken sands, deep within the vast isolation of the Omani Desert. It provides luxury tented accommodation and makes a fantastic base for your ultimate Arabian adventure.
Surrounded by spectacular craggy mountains, endless dunes and crystalline wadis, the camp provides a truly unforgettable escape. Many unique experiences are offered, including 4X4 dune bashing, dune bike-riding, sandboarding, and sunset camel rides.
Deluxe Tented Suite
Luxury Tented Suite with one bedroom and one living room are available. Relax in the luxurious en suite bathroom and stay out of the heat in the air conditioning.
Wadi Ghul - The Grand Canyon of Arabia
At Wadi Ghul, located in the Hajar mountain range, approximately 200km from Muscat, you’ll find Oman’s Grand Canyon.
The Balcony Walk takes you around the canyon’s rim; the views of the surrounding mountains and the 1km deep canyon are nothing short of spectacular. You can ascend or descend the canyon; both hikes take around 3-4 hours.
Highlights of Oman
- Take a private tour of Muscat and a visit to the Grand Mosque and Royal Opera house.
- Head out to Wadi Bani Khalid, one of Oman’s most spectacular wadis. Here you can admire the beauty of the landscape and swim amongst a series of crystal clear pools.
- Visit the National Museum, showcasing the earliest human settlement in the Oman peninsula through to the current day.
- Experience a meal at Bait Al Luban, an exquisitely designed restaurant serving fabulous local cuisine. Enjoy the complimentary water infused with frankincense.
- From Muscat, you’ll travel through beautiful coastal scenery on your way to Ras Al Jinz, take a nighttime excursion to the turtle sanctuary.
- Spend the day in the deserts of Wahiba Sands; there are some exhilarating experiences, such as 4X4 safaris, quad biking, and sandboarding.
- Stay overnight for an authentic desert experience.
- Head for Jebel Akhdar, where you’ll find the beautiful Al Hajar mountain range, great for hiking or simply relaxing in five-star luxury in a beautiful setting.
- Pay a visit to Wadi Ghul and Jebel Shams for Oman’s spectacular Grand Canyon and highest mountain.
- Set out for the historic city of Nizwa, located in a mountainous region approximately 1.5 hours from Muscat, the enormous 17th-century fort is a fine example of Omani architecture.
- Make your way back to Muscat for some well-earned rest and recuperation on some of Oman’s finest beaches.
Extend your Omani holiday
It is possible to combine a holiday in Oman with a visit to Jordan. You can spend time in the ancient city of Petra, a night in the desert at Wadi Rum and float in the Dead Sea. In addition, the Red Sea coast of Jordan offers some of the most spectacular coral reefs in the world and some fantastic dive sites.
The Maldives are just under a four-hour flight away from Muscat; with unrivalled luxury and some of the best beaches anywhere, the Maldives make an excellent destination to combine with your holiday to Oman.
Zanzibar makes an exciting alternative for extending your holiday with a flight time of just over five hours from Muscat. Just off the coast of Tanzania, Zanzibar boasts a green tropical interior and beautiful white sandy beaches. An exotic island famous for its spice trading where the plantations exist to this day.